Halitosis (Bad Breath) Treatment for Fresh, Minty Breath
We all experience occasional bad breath at some point. Your breath may not be the freshest after overindulging in that garlic delicacy or dashing out for work without brushing your teeth. However, halitosis — chronic bad breath — is another story. A healthy smile isn’t always fresh smelling; however, it shouldn’t knock over people in all directions with its pungent smell.
At Surrey Place Dental Group, we know bad breath can take an emotional toll on you. Nobody deserves to live with bad breath, and that’s why we offer treatment to help you beat your chronic unpleasant breath.
What causes bad breath?
There are several causes of bad breath, and it takes an all-rounded approach to pinpoint the exact cause. The common causes of bad breath include:
- Foods like onion and coffee
- Dry mouth — saliva acts as a natural cleanser. In its absence, the cleaning aspect wanes away, paving the way for harmful bacteria to breed.
- Poor oral hygiene — Inadequate brushing and flossing of teeth lead to plaque accumulation, which attracts bad bacteria that messes your breath.
- Gum disease
- Tobacco use
- High-sugar diets
- Digestive issues, including constipation and bowel disorders
- Certain prescription medication
- Mouth, nose, and throat infections
While several factors are culprits of bad breath, our dental team will work with you to establish the cause and devise a treatment plan to get your breath smelling great.
Bad breath treatment
If you have halitosis, take it seriously by scheduling an appointment with a dentist. Not only does bad breath hamper your social life and quality of life, but it can also be a sign of a serious underlying condition. The standard treatments for halitosis include:
- Improve oral hygiene: Our dental team will educate you on proper oral hygiene to beat bad breath. Of course, we will emphasize brushing twice a day and flossing daily, but we will show you techniques for at-home oral care the right way.
- Dental cleaning: Professional dental cleaning helps remove plaque and tartar beneath your gum line. This eliminates harmful bacteria responsible for bad breath.
- Periodontal care: If you have gum disease, we will devise a treatment plan to restore your oral health to its former glory.
- Lifestyle counselling: Do you smoke or take alcohol? Do you take a dental-friendly diet? We will recommend lifestyle changes to help you ditch the bad habits causing bad mouth odour.
Bad breath got you down in Surrey, BC? Please dial (604) 969-4212 to book an appointment with Surrey Place Dental Group, and your breath will smell minty fresh in no time.